For the exhibition Ophelia. Sehnsucht, melancholia and desire for death I designed this publication. The book contains articles on the theme of Hamlet's Ophelia from different perspectives and contains images of all the artworks in the exhibition.
For the design I chose to make a small, chubby book on bible-like thin paper. I gave all the pages a blue gradient, referring to the water in which Ophelia drowned. To put Ophelia in a broader perspective, I added spreads with found footage of Pets named Ophelia, Ophelia in the bad tub, hurricane Ophelia Ophelia graves and historical Ophelia.
Cover, image on dust-cover: Gerard Holthuis
Linnen hard cover with copper-coloured imprint
Spread with work from the exhibition, image Elly Strik
Spread with found footage > hurricane Ophelia
Layout of articles and columns, Dutch/English
Inside cover, pattern made with differently scaled typographic dots.
Detail of inside cover
- commissioned by Krien Clevis, Flos Wildschut and Uitgeverij de Buitenkant
- publication for exhibition with the same title in MMKA, Arnhem (Feb. 21st - May 10th 2009)
- Uitgeverij De Buitenkant, Amsterdam / Printed by Lenoirschuring, Amstelveen / Binding by Binderij Van Waarden, Zaandam
- ISBN 978 90 76452 50 0, for sale at the MMKA and bookshops
- 512 pages, 12 x 17.4 cm, Dutch/English, 70 grs Reference paper, linnen cover and foil imprint with dust cover
- With works of Erzsébet Baerveldt, Wout Berger, Krien Clevis, Delphine Courtillot, Gregory Crewdson, Anouk De Clercq, Amie Dicke, Desiree Dolron, Iris van Dongen, Marlene Dumas, Guido Geelen, Marnix Goossens, Gerard Holthuis, Tom Hunter, Izima Kaoru, Juul Kraijer, Justine Kurland, Erik Odijk, L.A. Raeven, Pipilotti Rist, Alessandra Sanguinetti, Sissi, Elisabet Stienstra, Elly Strik and Anne Wenzel.
- With contributions of Maria Barnas, Bernlef, Kiene Brillenberg Wurth, Krien Clevis, Maria van Daalen, Wessel Krul, Solange Leibovici, Ninie, David Rijser, Hedwig Saam, F. Starik, Alexander Venetis and Flos Wildschut.