The book Stad van verf (City of Paint) gives you delightful stories by author Onno Blom. He brings a city to life over the course of 25 paintings and painters. The stories are a lovely mix of his personal perspective, facts, historical gossip and anecdotes. All to shine a different light on the city of Leiden between 1510 and 2006.
I wanted the book to be a look-book as well as something that would seduce you to start reading. When designing it I was thinking of an old fairy tale book I used to have. I remembered it was a large heavy thick book, loads of white around a block of text, set in large sized typography.
The book is part of a larger project Stad van verf in which the author Onno Blom combines his forces with the Leiden's local news paper and Musem De Lakenhal.
- commissioned by Musem de Lakenhal, Leiden
- published by HDC-Media
- hard cover book, with book marker, 21.5 x 28 cm
- 256 pages, full color
- printed by Drukkerij Slinger, Alkmaar
- paper: Arctic Volume
- about a work of Cornelis Engebrechtsz, Lucas van Leyden, Isaac Claesz van Swanenburg, David Bailly, Jan van Goyen, Rembrandt van Rijn, Jan Lievens, Gerrit Dou, Jan Steen, Hendrik van der Burgh, Frans van Mieris de Oude, Frans van Mieris de Jonge, Edward Collier, Paulus Constantijn la Fargue, Nicolaus-Joseph Delin, Mattheus Ignatius van Bree, Alexander Hugo Bakker Korff, Menso Kamerlingh Onnes, Harm Kamerlingh Onnes, Floris Verster, Willem Hendrik van der Nat, Theo van Doesburg, Bram van Velde, Hendrik Valk and Jan Wolkers.
- book is available online for 29,95 euro via www.boekenvandekrant.nl
- ISBN 978-90-77842-45-4